Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Friend Nancy

Last night at church my friend, Nancy shared a slide show of her recent "pilgrimage" to Iona, Scotland. Pilgrimage?? This means what? Journey? Retreat? Meditation? Hiking? What? I am not sure I know this word. But, there I saw the most incredible scenes of stone walls, abbeys, beaches, roads, flowers, and caves -- some of which were millions, yes, millions of years old. It was amazing to see, I tell you. And it was deeply awe inspiring and suddenly I wished I had been on just that pilgrimage! When Nancy was thrashed around in the wind on the end of an island on a rocky beach to the point where she could barely remain standing, the residents of the "community" said, "Oh, the wildness of God!" I love that! The wildness of God.....

And kudos to my friend, Nancy, who is one of the few friends I have come to know in this second half of my life who really wants to keep digging deeper and deeper. I have laid claim to that in so many relationships, where I keep wanting to know more, more, more about myself, about my soul and about why I am here. I believe in her own way, this is what Nancy does too and in her pilgrimages, that is so much more available as she stands thrashing about watching and feeling, the "wildness of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment